Interesting post from Ivan.  This corresponds with my layman's
understanding.   Dr. Higa's EM1 probiotic mix,  which you can make at home
by fermentation,  includes actinomyces,  which are the basis for many
antibiotic medicines.    They are part of a complex life/death/reproduction
cycle of 80 microorganisms in five families,  all striving to carry on in a
one-liter PET bottle on my windowsill. . .

JBB