Hi Steve,

Huh?

> Some time ago I tried polarity reversing experiments with
> constant current,
> stirred LVDC method.  I think the reversal time was somewhere
> between half
> and one minute.  What I found was for the same brew time and all
other
> conditions being constant, the reversal CS was not nearly as
> "strong", as
> measured by a Hanna PWT, as the unreversed CS.
>
> Why?  At the onset of each reversal, is there a period of
> time wherein some
> sort of electrochemical reaction to "undo" something at each
electrode
> before it can start producing more CS?  This seems borne out
> because the
> voltage across the electrodes at constant current changes at
> the onset of
> the reversal before gradually settling back to about the
> voltage before the
> reversal.  I don't remember if the voltage rose or dipped at
> reversal time.

Well, the current (and hence voltage) depends entirely on the passage
of ions from one electrode to the other (or at least the on the
removal of ions from the solution, no matter whether they came from
the anode or not). As the passage of ions in solution involves
inertia, when one reverses the polarity the ions are travelling in the
wrong direction, and continue to do so until the voltage field has
enough strength to overcome this. The voltage should peak during this
time, as the current will be low.

There will also be some undoing of the work done during the previous
cycle at each polarity change, with ions previously released, being
sucked back to again bond with the anode, and one might also expect
some release of elemental silver particles into the solution, being
ions which had plated out on the cathode during the opposite phase.

> Electrochemists - what's going on here?  Even though it make
> take longer to
> end up with the same strength brew, is the reversal method still
> advantageous?

> --Steve

I cannot answer this without some investigation, (given some of the
info I have recently read), whereas before I would have said there is
no advantage in current reversal, perhaps even that the disadvantages
were too great for this method to be of any use at all.

Ivan.