 Rose,
Eating animals is a complex issue. Marshalee's and your posts have brought
several issues to mind for me.

I personally love animals as friends. I have two beloved dogs who are among
my closest friends. (One of the dogs is extremely telepathic and loving.
I've often said that if she were a human, she'd be my number one lover.

As someone whose metabolism requires a certain amount of animal protein to
survive, I also eat animals. I wish I didn't have to. But I accept this, and
before I eat usually remember to give thanks to the animal who gave its life
so that I can further grow and evolve. I believe that it's very important to
have an attitude of respect and a reverence for life, even when I'm
thoroughly enjoying my rare organic steak.

 My one objection to most of the vegetarians I've met is that they often
have
a righteous, "holier-than-thou" attitude because they don't eat animals.
They condemn all meat eaters as savage, regardless of what our attitudes are
toward those whom we eat. Vegans and vegetarians IN MY EXPERIENCE also
routinely deny or ignore the fact that human beings need some form of animal
protein to live. (Even the presumably vegetarian societies that Dr. Weston
price visited, for instance, in his historical travels in the 20th Century,
ate high protein insects and grubs that comprised 10% of their total diet.)

 PETA, an acronym for People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, is an animal
rights organization that I used to support until it changed. You and others
might be interested in the following website which explains some of PETA's
misdeeds.
 http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/PETA/peta.html

 Back to you and Marshalee...I can't speak for Marshalee. But I can see
myself saying what she said simply because I'm so sick of all the
self-righteous, holier-than-thou people who routinely condemn the eating of
animals. However, a comment like that certainly requires a lot of
explanation!

 I look forward to the day when humans are spiritually evolved enough to
obtain their nutrients without eating animals. The phenomenon of animals
eating other animals is something to be considered, too. It would probably
be a much better planet.

 Regards,
Nina