I'm not sure if this is available on CNN anymore...

CNN carried this story on Nov. 8th...

Here's part of it, or follow the link for the whole story.

Also, at the end is part of a e-mail I recieve from Ron Leavitt...

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/11/08/universal.drug.ap/index.html

Another supplement under serious academic study as an all-purpose drug is
silver. It has been hawked for decades as a popular remedy for a variety of
ailments, so microbiologist Ron Leavitt at Brigham Young University balked
three years ago when a company first asked him to test its solution
scientifically.

"I said, 'Go away!"' he recalled in an interview. "I fully expected it not to
do a thing."

Reluctantly agreeing, he compared the silver compound to the common antibiotic
tetracycline in action against 11 germs. In each case, he says, the silver
compound worked as well or better. Leavitt says he doubted his own findings, so
he did the experiments again -- and again. The results were the same against
those strains and nine others. One was E. coli, another potential agent of
terrorism.

The interested company, American Biotech Labs of Alpine, Utah, has begun to
test the solution for anthrax and ear infections, says spokesman Keith Moeller.

Leavitt says silver, at the levels used in the solution, appears to be toxic to
germs but safe for people. He plans to extend his experiments to animals. He
suspects the silver acts as a catalyst, perhaps promoting a reaction that
short-circuits a germ's energy metabolism.

One potential drawback, he said, is the danger of killing desirable germs, like
those that protect the skin and mouth against disease microbes.
Immune-regulating drugs are less likely to show this disadvantage, because the
immune system knows pretty well how to tell friendly forces from those of the
enemy.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.