  From: Reid Harvey
  To: silver list
  Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 5:19 PM
  Subject: CS>concentrated CS and 'agglomeration'

  CS Friends,
  Several here have observed in the past that concentrated CS is an
  impossibility, the material agglomerating and precipating when ppm goes
  high.  Working with CS of ~170ppm I'm starting to get a feel for a lot
  of the complex science involved with the business of making concentrated
  CS, though certainly I do not have the background in chemistry and
  physics of others on the list.  But I think that when folks talk about
  agglomeration of the CS in the making, when going for higher
  concentrations, what they may be referring to is actually current
  runaway, the upshot the silver oxidizing and precipitating. I would
  value the expert opinion of others on this subject.

  It appears to me that the Mexican CS, Microdyn, uses a protein binder,
  which is not harmful, because concentrated CS can be highly unstable.
  Now that I've experienced some of the various ways that the concentrated
  CS goes off I can attest to this instability.  I've had this material go
  off because I missed a polarity switch, intended for one minute
  intervals, mistakenly making one or two intervals of two minutes.  I had
  another batch go gray, to the oxide, because it was four feet from both
  a charging mobile phone and a ceiling fan.  Another batch went off, even
  though it was in a brown glass bottle, because there was a light nearby.

  As to the close proximity of the charging mobile phone and the ceiling
  fan,  the problem is instability in the presence of an electromagnetic
  field.  I'm solving this problem by building a Faraday Cage,  in my case
  placing the CS in a stout, brass box, then grounding this.

  I would imagine that in the past some on this list decided to experiment
  toward getting the higher concentrations when they heard that others had
  been claiming this.  They want to satisfy their curiousity about the
  possibility of concnetrated CS.  In going about the experiment I think
  it likely that they use their existing systems, which were in actuality
  designed to output 10ppm.  When they get the darkening orange of the CS,
  something or other causes instability, leading to precipitate.  Then
  they think the CS has agglomerated and conclude that the concentrated
  variety is an impossibility.

  Making concentrated CS requires a generator that has been designed for
  this purpose.  In the system I use the polarity shifting is key, and
  heating in a double boiler is also important.  Plus the appropriate
  amounts of electrode surface area, volume of container, etc., are all
  important.  Bear in mind the system is for the large particle CS
  appropriate to saturation of our earthenware water purifiers.  But my
  impression is that there are generators that will make concentrated,
  fine particle CS.

  As I've said I'm no expert.  So I would appreciate the comments of any
  knowledgeable people here, especially regarding the viewpoint that
  people have been mistaking agglomeration for the instability caused by
  the several reasons I've indicated.
  Reid