It seems to me that the first day or so is when the cold is going
strong...that "beat with a lead pipe feeling"... and all the rest of the
discomfort is just "cleaning house" and the bugs themselves are pretty much
already killed off.
 The trick is to treat a cold before it takes over and loads the body up
with trash that must be taken out regardless of what killed it off. The
sooner that's done, the less trash is produced.
Ken