Dear Judith,
Marshalee is correct. I used to be a 'Planned Preventative Maintenance' person
before she mended my ways. :)
See "Fowler's Modern English Usage"  prevent(at)ive. The short form is better;
see LONG VARIANTS where he says 'The better the writer the shorter the words'...
broadly true.... Those who run to long words are mainly the unskilful and
tasteless; they confuse pomposity with dignity, flaccidity with ease, and bulk
with force.

Tony