> Tisk Marshalee, Tisk Tisk!
> > (By the way, for the Newbies out there, who missed my rant of several
months ago, the word is "preventive", not "preventative",
> > ie.what CS is so good at doing!)
> > OK, I`ll shut up for now!!! :o)
> > Love,
> > Marshalee
>
> My 3 nearest dictionaries [each is a standard doorstop weight ;) ] say :
>  DK Illustrated Oxford Dictionary
> lists preventative before preventive
>
> Reader's Digest Complete Word Finder:
> lists preventative before preventive
>
> The Macquarie Dictionary: [standard Australian reference]
> preventive [& gives definitions] then  says: Also preventative.
>
> [I collect dictionaries, just BTW.]
>
> Regards,
> Judith.

Dear Judith,
Aha!
Just goes to show that even dictionaries can be wrong!
A preventive prevents, a preventative preventates.
See? It is an ambiguous word.
It just shows that the common misusage of a word breeds acceptance,
don`t it! :o)
Love,
Marshalee
(My most hated ever misusage is "seen" for "saw". And second are the cowboys
talkin` `bout "the horse that ain`t been rode".
I could kill...Arrgghhh!!!!)