The phone lines are current limited [controlled] to prevent homeowners
from blasting the switchboards out when they do their inept 'thing'. It's
called circuit protection.
 Don't know exactly what the limit is but it's low enough that only a tiny
spark can be produced by shorting the wires, it's low enough that holding
onto both wires with dry fingers can't 'usually' be felt. {I hook em up,
strip live wires etc, all the time}
 The ringer runs a 100v [pulsed?] surge through the same wires. Don't hang
onto them and get or make a phone call. [not deadly but it hurts]
 A short duration surge won't affect the CS.
Ken