I have been drinking 16oz CS 10ppm everyday for 1 1/2 years and NO silver in
my skin  -  not a trace,  only much better health!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Chamberlin" <tcj...@yahoo.ca>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 10:42 AM
Subject: CS>Altman article

The following quotations have been attributed to Roger
Altman, which I found too hard to ignore.

"I estimate that no more than 16 ounces of colloidal
silver, or silver chloride, at a concentration of 5
ppm should be ingested within 24 hours, or 64 ounces
within 10 days. In addition, the ingestion of
colloidal silver and/or silver chloride should be
stopped for at least 5 days following any period of
heavy consumption to lower the risk of argyria."

He estimates this, based on what? He appears to be
operating on the assumption that any kind of silver,
if taken in enough quantity, will cause argyria. In
spite of numerous reports of people ingesting far
greater quantities of CS than he is cautioning about
(up to 1-gallon per day of 10 ppm for years), he is
cautioning at such a conservative level as to be
ridiculous.

"Selenium binds with heavy metals, including silver."

Any references to substantiate this?

"As the body eliminates these metals, it eliminates
selenium along with them."

References, please. Opinion has very little weight
without substantiation.

"It's logical to assume that anyone who is ingesting
colloidal silver or silver chloride on an ongoing
basis is slowly but surely eliminating selenium."

I find his "logic" flawed. Every day our bodies
eliminate various minerals/metals. When someone begins
to drink adequate amounts of water, they eliminate
more metals/minerals/toxins/fat cells, etc. Should we
assume that, "anyone who is ingesting water on an
ongoing basis is slowly but surely eliminating
selenium." (or calcium, or potassium, etc.) He appears
to be assuming that, because people with low levels of
selenium MAY have a slightly greater chance of
experiencing argyria, that means the reverse, that
ingestion of silver increases a deficiency of
selenium. Lot of speculation here.

"While many believe it is impossible to contract
argyria by ingesting colloidal silver, the facts
indicate this may not be an absolute truth."

What facts? All the facts I have ever seen establish
very strongly this to be a truth.

"Imagine that a man drinks one gallon of 10 ppm
colloidal silver every day for a year."

Like Bob Beck does.

"Some of that silver will bind with selenium."

No substantiation for this idea. The "Silver binds
with (whatever)" idea does not stand up in the face of
Mr. Altman's own report on the body's propensity to
retain silver, which concluded that there was
virtually no silver accumulation whatsoever.

"At first, it may appear that everything is going
fine, but once selenium levels have dropped low
enough, perhaps in three or four months, a small
percentage of silver will be sent to the face for
storage. As more selenium is depleted, a larger
percentage of silver will be routed to the face. (In
the most extreme case noted in one EPA study, eighteen
percent of all silver ingested by an argyric
individual was routed to the face.)"

A study noting the ingestion of WHAT KIND of silver?
Of HOW MUCH silver? I am unaware of ANY "official"
studies of the effects of electro-colloidal silver,
not silver compounds. And now Mr. Altman appears to be
doing the same thing: using the consequences of toxic
silver COMPOUNDS as a basis for cautioning about
silver COLLOIDS.

"The end result is that within a year the condition of
argyria could be quite pronounced as a result of
ingesting large amounts of colloidal silver."

This statement sounds so much like an FDA/EPA
gloss-over (attributing to colloidal silver what can
only be experienced with LARGE amount of silver
compounds) that I am unable to reasonably attribute
this statement to Roger Altman. Did this actually come
from him? If it did, I defy Mr. Altman to support or
substantiate that statement. It is erroneous and
irresponsible. Did you recently get some kind of
pharmaceutical grant to study CS, Mr. Altman? Please
tell us you are being misquoted, or that you didn't
even say this!

"I once asked myself this question: What is the one
thing that could happen regarding colloidal silver
that would change everything if it happened? While I
think it is critical that all people learn how to make
silver colloids, I still worry about the possibility
of negative experiences."

What has caused this worry? Reviewing reports on
argyria caused by large amounts of silver compounds?
The medical literature contains NO reports of ANY
problems of ANY kind ingesting ANY amount of ANY ppm
pure, electro-colloidal silver. Even the conservative
estimates of the amount of silver which must be
ingested to eventuate in argyria are based on the
assumption that 100% of the silver ingested is
retained in the body, which assumption is absurd, even
without Mr. Altman's report showing virtually NO
silver accumulation.

"For example; when silver medicines were commonly
used, the occurrence of argyria was also more common."

Of course, "silver medicines" are referring to silver
nitrate and other silver compounds.

"If the general public of today begins making
unlimited amounts of colloidal silver, there will no
doubt be some people who will get themselves into
trouble, either by ingesting fantastic amounts, or
simply by being deficient in selenium and vitamin E."

Let me get this straight. If people begin to consume
18 gallons/day of 10 ppm colloidal silver (the amount
needed to ingest the minimum quantity of silver to
cause argyria, based on 100% silver retention), "there
will no doubt be some people who will get themselves
into trouble". Yes, I cannot argue with that logic.
People will get themselves into trouble, not from too
much silver, but from too much water.

"..or simply by being deficient in selenium and
vitamin E.. The EPA documents showed that vitamin E
and selenium deficient persons sometimes contracted
argyria at one fifth the minimum dose thought to be
necessary to incur the condition."

It seems I must point out again, the increased
incident of argyria in people who were deficient in
selenium and vitamin E were in people who ingested
silver COMPOUNDS, NOT colloidal silver.

"One might assume that the absence of vitamin E and
selenium are like a gate that's been left open,
allowing silver to go where it shouldn't go."

It seems, at this point, that there is no longer any
attempt to differentiate between what is known (or
suspected) about silver compounds causing argyria and
the complete absence of any evidence to implicate
colloidal silver in the same way. This is the same
thing the FDA/EPA has been doing all along.

He goes on to discuss a proposed, theoretical
nutritional therapy that might help the body chelate
and remove silver from the skin. No problem. Good idea
to try. Can't hurt.

I found this article to be full of speculation and
unsubstantiated assumptions, coupled with, in my
opinion, faulty reasoning (not differentiating between
colloids and compounds, and assuming the same reaction
to both in the body).

Terry Chamberlin
Metabolic Solutions Institute
RR1  314 Carleton Rd