According to Scientology, the past isn't irrelevant because subconsciously it
will supposedly affect you. Let's say for example, you were six years old. You
were riding your skateboard and fell off and ripped a big hole in your knee.
All the sounds, temperature and light distribution (your environment) going on
around were recorded by your mind subconsciously. So ten years later your at
your championship skateboard tournament and during your ride, some of the EXACT
same environmental factors that were prevalent the day you ripped open your
knee mysteriously occur. Suddenly that same queasy feeling you had when you saw
the hole in your knee creeps back up into your stomach and you flop. SO,
according to the Scientologist, if you don't go through the cleansing of your
mind of all the bad schtuff in your mind, it will affect you for the rest of
your life. It's tough to be able to test this theory because you would have be
able to remember all of the environmental factors that were occurring during
every traumatic time in your life and then know that those environmental
factors were being repeated, causing you to screw up. I don't know about you,
but I can't even remember what I had for dinner last Sunday, nevermind the
environmental factors that were going on around me last time (or any time for
that matter) I had a physical or emotional trauma.

So that's their story. I'm not sure that I could overcome anything like that,
but I'm also not sure that I am really being affected by my past. I want to do
good in my future so I will learn and strive to do my best and try not to let
my past mess me up! And if it does, I'll learn from that and try again. That's
all that really matters is not giving up.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with CS so I'll stop now.