If I remember right O2 is is absorbed onto the surface, and splits apart so you
end up with O on the surface.  So the oxygen is much more available due to it
being monoatomic.

Virtually any chemistry book will give more information.  There is also
information on the net:

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/

Silver's catalytic properties make it ideal for use as a catalyst in oxidation
 reactions; for example, the production of formaldehyde from methanol and air by
 means of silver screens or crystallites containing a minimum 99.95
weight-percent
 silver.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question159.htm

http://www.carondelet.pvt.k12.ca.us/Moles/SilverStoryA.htm

In it’s colloidal form, silver serves as a catalyst in the manufacturing of
certain alcohol.

http://www.cri-catalysts.com/eo-frameset.htm

Ethylene Oxide (EO), one of the major building blocks of the chemical
industry, is selectively formed when Ethylene and Oxygen are passed
over the silver based EO catalyst.

http://www.chem-eng.toronto.edu/~webmims/chrisr1.html

The mechanism of ethylene epoxidation over silver has been subject to intense
scrutiny and debate because understanding it may lead to improved ethylene oxide
selectivity beyond the limits of current industrial catalysts (-85%) [2-5].
Different types of
oxygen exist on silver, depending on adsorption conditions; these include
molecular, subsurface and various forms of surface
atomic oxygen, as shown in figure 1.1 and explained in detail in section 2.2.3.
Their roles in ethylene epoxidation are critical,
and much work has focused on this aspect. Over the last decade, basic research
into ethylene epoxidation chemistry has
provided solid evidence in support of an atomic oxygen mechanism [6-10].

http://www.aist.go.jp/NIMC/publication/annual97/09/09_5.html

The addition of silver to TiO2-ZrO2 catalyst caused a drastic enhancement of NO
reduction activity with propene.
This silver additive effect was accounted for by the assumption that silver
promotes the reaction of NO2 with propene to form a partially oxidized
hydrocarbon, which is the rate-determining step.

http://www.speclab.com/elements/silver.htm
as catalyst in hydrogenation & oxidn (oxidation)

http://www.sharelynx.net/Papers/SilverHistory.htm
Silver’s catalytic properties make it ideal for use as a catalyst in oxidation
reactions; for example, the production of formaldehyde from methanol and air,
catalyzed by silver screens or crystallites containing a minimum 99.95
weight-percent silver (Butts and Coxe, 1967, p. 1-15).

This is an interesting use of silver to prevent foot odor:

http://www.silverinstitute.org/news/pr10aug01.html

There are many more if you search for them.

Marshall