Dear Sir,
            Since I have had more than one inquiry of this same nature,
I am taking the liberty of answering to the general list.
            We have found a Kingbright, Super-bright T-1 3/4  LED,
Stock # 604-L53SRCE  (costs about .55 each) to be quite satisfactory for
general purpose arrays. (Glare-canceling apparatus reveals these units
penetrate approximately 1/2" of bone and lean tissue).  This is a 2000
mcd minimum (at 1.85 volts D.C.drive) and 3500 mcd nomical at 2.5 volts
D.C. drive device.  We drive them at 2.5 volts D.C. This is the Mouser
Electronics catalog number.   You can contact them at WWW.mouser.com
on the internet for online ordering....or  sales @mouser.com for email
contact.
        They are a first class company.  Interestingly, their
international headquarters and shipping warehouse (Mansfield, Texas) is
located only about 7 miles from my rural residence and I use them
frequently for my personal electronic devices prototyping.
                 I hope this information is useful.     Sincerely,
Brooks Bradley.