Is the grey deposit the same thing?? If it is not good to filter, what do I do then? I'm not interested to drink this "muddy mixture" from the bottom of the jar! What am I doing wrong? Too fast stirring?
Sylvie

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ode Coyote <coyote...@earthlink.net>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>grey fuzzies
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:13:24 -0400

 The grey fuzzies are a semi solid structure forming out of silver
particles being trapped on the surface tension of hydrogen bubbles that
have grown too slowly to bubble off before being stabilized by the coating.
As the bubble becomes coated, it becomes semi conductive and forms another
slow bubble to become coated on top of itself..on and on in a never ending
feedback loop. Wiping the fuzzies off breaks up the feedback loop, but it
might start over again until water conductivity is high enough to draw the
set current.
 Excess water current pressure is one factor that leads to the formation of
these small bubbles. Another is too little current draw from ultra pure
[highly resistive] water. Stirring too fast also runs a greater number of
ions and particles past the electrode to be attracted by it, further
exasperating the conditions of the loop.
 The slower you run the motor, the less stable it is. It may stall out at
very slow speeds. So, shortening the stirrer allows for speeding up the
motor without increasing stir rate. It doesn't take much to move that water
and it should not move very fast at all. You can put a small bit of paper
in the container to track the water currents. It should move sort of lazily
around in an inverting spiral.
  One would think that running the stir rate really fast would blow the
bubbles off, but apparently it only causes them to stick better on the
surface that faces the direction of the water current and further
compresses the bubble to keep it small.  [The fuzzies grow into the
direction of the water flow.]
 If you find yourself using ultra pure water, you can let the generator run
without the stirrer until a localized area of conductivity [ion cloud]
forms between the electrodes, then distribute that with the stirrer to
bring the total conductivity up...or seed the water with a previous batch.
 Heating the water some also increases initial conductivity but heating too
hot causes particles to collide with enough force that they can agglomerate
right away.

On a good note, once the electrodes become pitted and rough from use, the
hydrogen bubbles are formed in more localized an area centering on the pits
[or, perhaps between them] and grow and bigger faster with fewer of
them..and bubble off better.

 Formation of the grey fuzzies using pitted electrodes is rare.
So, don't polish the electrodes, Just wipe them off.
 Ken