Hi Frank,

Well, my mistake was not correcting the reference to the Tyndall
Effect. Although one should separate the Faraday-Tyndall Cone from the
general Tyndall Effect, which does hold that the incident light
changes colour as the particle size is increased, from blue through to
white for polychromatic illumination. I made no reference to
intensity, but of course you are correct, the reflected light will be
more intense with large particles and lose intensity as particle size
reduces, until it cannot be found at all with particle size of about
1nm(?).

Gold particles are indeed red at around 13nm, certainly for those
produced by chemical reduction. There are many papers that attest so,
and the production of gold sols (mainly for the microbiology labs) is
a rather large industry.
I cannot comment upon your experiences, other than to say your gold
colloid product is indeed ruby red.
It is true that the colour of a colloid is not determined by particle
size alone, this is a function of size, shape, dispersion, plasmid
excitation and extinction, and lie within the Rayleigh scattering and
Mie theories. However, all other things being equal, particle size
does determine colour. As Basab Chaudhuri and Syamal Raychaudhuri put
it:

'All gold colloids display a single absorption peak in the visible
range between 510 and 550 nm. With increasing particle size, the
absorption maximum shifts to a longer wavelength, while the width of
the absorption spectra relates to the size range. The smallest gold
colloids (2–5 nm) are yellow-orange, midrange particles (10–20 nm) are
wine red, and larger particles (30–64 nm) are blue-green. Smaller gold
particles are basically spherical, while particles in the range of
30–80 nm show more shape eccentricity related to the ratio of major to
minor axes.'

Particle size is determined by a number of methods, the most common
benchmark being microscopy (TEM or SEM)in the papers I have read.

Regards
Ivan.

---