There is a simple reagent that will identify the safe one; probably in that
great sounding book.

James-Osbourne: Holmes

-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Stebbins [mailto:s...@asis.com]
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 6:56 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>RE: Glad cow syndrome

Well, OTOH there is Stropharia Rogosoannulata (I kid you not!) commonly
called
the King or Garden Stropharia, wine mushroom, Omigodlookathesizathathing!!
(colloq.)
It is an undeniable saprophyte.
So-called 'Stropharia Cubensis' are  usually S. semiglobata, a "dung fungus"
resembling  P. cubensis but not blue staining.  There are other imitators of
the
true blue P. spp. that stain blackish and will make you sicker 'n a dog or
worse,
so readers be warned that sampling some mushrooms can reduce your mileage
right
down to zero.

I think you'd enjoy *Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms* by Stamets,
Ten
Speed Press.
>From the Frontispiece . . . . . . . . . Mycotopia:  An environment wherein
ecological equilibrium is enhanced through the judicious use of fungi for
the
betterment of all lifeforms.

In a transparently devious attempt to keep this on topic; the False idea
that you
can distinguish a poisonous mushroom from non-poisonous ones because it will
discolor a piece of silver, or make it non-poisonous  by cooking it with
silver
is yet more of the stuff  S. globata grows on.

Take care,  Malcolm

Ode Coyote wrote:

>  Ok, cool!
> Ken
>
> At 08:31 AM 8/31/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >Sorry Ken.  Stropharia Cubensis is exactly the same as Psilocybe Cubensis
> >and they do not grow on wood.  They are coprophilous (dung lovers).
> >
> >Trem

There