  From: Marshall Dudley
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 8:41 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>Sick sheep

  IV might be the best course.  And if you could put an ultrasonic humidifer
with CS in it, it might make it into the lungs if pneumonia is prescent.
  Marshall

  Trem wrote:

    Hi List, Our neighbor has a lamb about 6 months old that is running a fever
of 105 F.and the fever is not responding to antibiotics.  Its most significant
symptom is the fever and lethargy.  The fever was up to 107 F.  It has been
sick for 5 days and getting antibiotics for 4 days.  The vet thinks it is an
enterococcus or maybe pneumonia but no usual pneumonia symptoms are present.
The digestive symptoms that accompany enterococcus infection are not present
either.  The stool was initially loose and had mucous when the antibiotics were
first started but has since normalized. We have offered CS to her but she is
worried about the rumen being compromised.  Does anyone have any direct
experience with giving CS to sheep? Thanks folks. Trem