Greetings Silver Listers,

I've spent some time trying to analyze the e-mail virus stuff that's
been going around among members of the list.

First off, as far as I can tell, nothing "live" has been forwarded to
members by the list server. So far the defenses are holding.

If you find something you know for sure is a live virus forwarded by
the list server, please let me know immediately via private e-mail.
The *best* thing you can do is display full headers of the suspect
message and cut and paste them into your mail to me so I can see if it
really came through the list.

Otherwise, this is what appears to be happening:

Members have received messages with the From: address, Subject: and
body text of an old message from the list, plus a malicious attachment
of some kind.

The e-mails several of us received that were allegedly from Chris Noel
contained a virus that Trend Micro's PC-Cillin identified as
WORM_BUGBEAR.A

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BUGBEAR.A

The problem is that the way we received it is *not* consistent with the
way this worm is supposed to propagate in the wild. Instead of "an
email with no message body and with one of [a list of] possible
subjects" it's disguised as an old message from the Silver List!

This suggests that it is either being sent to us by someone who has
harvested addresses of members who've posted to the list and is
purposefully targeting us, or it is the behavior of some other virus
or variant...

The biggest problem is that these virii forge headers, bounce mail off
open relays and otherwise cover their trail so well that it's very hard
to determine whose machine is even infected.

There's not much we can do about these things except to take steps to
protect our own machines. Run an antivirus program, folks, and update
the pattern files *often*!

Be well,

Mike D.
silver-list owner