There is a famous congressional report that supposedly proves that the
soil has been leached of minerals in the last 100 years or so.

All minerals have their origins in rock, and rock dust (of the
appropriate kind) is the best fertiliser. Humic acids (notably fulvic)
are powerful solvents, which leach out rock bound minerals, sequester
them, and transport them in run-off and the water table for great
distances. Plants absorb these minerals from the leachate and use them
as part of their growth cycle. Certain plants have an affinity for
silver, mushrooms and wheat come to mind, and hence silver finds its
way into our diet.

I am not sure that current populations are more healthy than previous,
indeed, the incidence of cancer, obesity and heart disease are at
epidemic proportions... but as you say, it comes down to diet.

Regards
Ivan