"James Osbourne, Holmes" wrote:

> >From the table provided by Marshall:
>
> "Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted when a solid or liquid is in
> equilibrium with its own vapor"
>
> "Mercury (in dental amalgam)             37 C"
>
> That is 98.6 F; normal body temp.
>
> Wild.  I had no idea the vapor pressure was so low.  So mercury "steam" is
> emitting from Ag/Hg fillings.  Gag.

You mean that high. 0.005 mm mercury sounds about right for body temperature,
but the 10 or so sounds very high. I am not sure what it means by "10-8".  The
boiling point of mercury is much higher, 356 degrees C, which is the
temperature where the vapor pressure of mercury is equal to the air pressure of
about 760 mm mercury.

The temperature for a VP of 1 mm Hg for mercury is 126 C.  For mercury at 50 C
the vapor pressure is .002 kPa (.0015 mm Hg).  For comparison the vapor
pressure of water at 25 degrees is 3.17 kPa (2.38 mm Hg)   and at 50 C is 12.3
kPa (9.23 mm Hg).  Thus a rough estimate of the evaporation rate of mercury at
50 C would be .002/12.3 = .00016 or 1/6350th the rate of water at that
temperature.

> It is know that metallic Hg is non-toxic in the body; you can drink small
> amounts without harm.  Call any Poison Information Center to verify that.

That is not totally correct.  Mercury ingested passes through the digestive
system with very little absorption (less than 5%). That is why they can put
mercury in a thermometer.  But mercury vapor is easily abosrbed, and very
toxic.  See http://www.ertco.com/msds_mercury.html for the msds on mercury.

> But, can the vapor react with other elements to make toxic Hg compounds?
> Probably.

It has to do with absorption.  Mercury is easily absorbed when in the vapor
form.

> Marshal, do you have time to provide more info?

I just did.

Marshall