A week or so ago I posted a comment on using
supplemental oxygen while exercising (EWOT).  In the body of the
discussion I referred to the employment of "nasal-type"  oxygen masks.
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the effectiveness of
this type of device.
                    The little "nose-type" oxygen fitting utilized in
most hospitals "WAS NOT" an acceptable variation.  It looks good on
television, but is almost useless for achieving the desired results for
EWOTAdditionally, the best results....by far.....resulted from the use
of  non-rebreathing type masks.  Additionally, I did not elaborate on,
exactly, how we achieved the highest levels of O2 availability.  The
reason for this was because....in a controlled laboratory setting, you
can do many things not practical otherwise.  e.g. Being able to modify
the equipment without attendant dangers to the volunteer, etc.
                        My recommendation to other
researchers/experimenters is to utilize the "bag-type" rebreather mask
and DO NOT close the safety vent (although this would result in 100% Fl
02.).
                    Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.