I found that using dmso externally caused a tickle in my chest for about 15
minutes.   I also noticed that it affected my singing ability for a week or
two after use as I still had the 'tickle' when singing.  Had to wait for a
few weeks to be able to breathe well enough to sing without coughing.   That
scared me a bit.  But there doesn't seem to be any longterm damage.

I have used it as a foot soak, mixed with cs, for my canary who has bad
arthritis in his feet.  He reeked of it for hours afterward so I know his
body absorbed a lot of it.  He has had no breathing problems (or any other
problems) as a result.   He is still singing too.