The reason that using 6 volts works so well but takes longer that 27 volts is that the lower voltage draws less current. If you use a constant current generator, it lowers the voltage for you automatically as the process goes. Essentially, as the CS gets stronger, the voltage gets weaker and releases ions at a constant [preferably slow] rate. The major keys to making small particle CS is controlled current taylored to your specific electrode surface area and spacing...and even distribution of the ions as they are released. [stirring]

A silver coin will sit in plain water for centuries virtually unchanged. Why would drinking that water do anything?

AC [alternating current] means that the electricity reverses polarity at some frequency...60 times per second in America, 50 times per second in Europe.
 DC [direct current] does not change polarity.

AC and DC are two different animals like a zebra and a mule that both look like horses...no equivalency to chart other than they both can pull a plow.

Other than variations in dissolved gasses due to atmospheric conditions, water is still H2O just like it was for the Egyptions. Hydrogen and oxygen haven't changed. It was probably a global weather shift that made the desert, though over grazing has fairly recently expanded it. That area is still pretty much like it was for the old Egyptians. They didn't create that desert.
 That's not to say that people "can't" make a desert.

Something major happened world wide about 15,000 - 20,000 years ago. It "might" have been people related. Possibly a big nuke war. Not so much too many people, just some very mean ones.
 Or it could have been a meteor strike.

ken