Hi Sharon,
it's possible that your kiddo has a bladder stone - aka urinary calculi. What happens is that due to a hundred different circumstances, from the water to genetic predisposition, calcium compounds (or others too, for all I know,) can come out of solution in the urine as it collects in the bladder and form sand, gravel or stones. The small stuff usually sails right on out, but the bigger chunks can remain and grow larger over time. They provide a perfect hiding place for bacteria and yeasts, which persist in the microscopic crannies until treatment has ended, then come right back out to reinfect the bladder wall again. Antibiotics are no use solving this problem either, except strictly temporarily.

It's also possible she has something called interstitial cystitis, I think that's unlikely in a kid, but you might check out Dr. Stanley Jacob's site on DMSO at the university of Oregon; he is tops in that area.

Back to the first possibility, which I actually know something about from personal experience. The. Most. Important. Thing you can do, is get her to drink lots of water; don't worry about whether it has "nothing else in it at all." Sure, you want to avoid sugar for the most part, and the juices have lots of that as well as their own solids. But what you are trying to do is to dilute the urine, and keep the flow high to rinse out the system. Think of it as starvation for the bugs and maybe a little dissolving action for any stones.

A couple of suggestions that have worked for me are to buy plain old steam distilled water in gallons; stay away from "spring water" or "pure mountain water" or other label gimmicks. Don't worry yourself about how distilled water is supposed to 'leach the minerals out of your body' because the minerals that even ultra-pure laboratory grade water could conceivably leach can be replaced by a very small sprig of broccoli or a scrap of lettuce leaf - and it doesn't, anyway. The reasons for getting the steam distilled kind are partly because it may turn out to be easier for her to drink a lot of it - and you too, try it and see, - and also to eliminate the possibility that your usual drinking water has a mineral content that somehow contributes to the formation of calculi for her. I also drink a lot of Gatorade, the clear ones called 'ice' seem the best. This is a balanced electrolyte solution, similar to 'pedialyte', though with (what else!) a little sugar too. Even so, the balanced electrolytes are easier to take in quantity. Hibiscus tea like Celestial seasonings Raspberry Zinger is also high in C and pleasant tasting.

Anything else you do for her, from cranberry to vitamin C to "Magic Fairy Dust" will only work if you can keep the water intake up. Speaking of cranberries, the active principle makes the mucous layer on the inside of the bladder wall more impervious to bacteria, but it isn't a bug killer in and of itself so already-present infections aren't much affected; that may be a clue as to why the CS isn't performing miracles, doesn't penetrate the mucous. The juice you get in the stores is so full of sugar it's criminal. If you can get the pills down her somehow, and they work, that's great!

Vitamin C is wonderful for UTI's, I dont know what a tolerable dose is for children; one recommendation for adults is to take as much as you can without getting the runs. The daily amount is best divided into four or more doses to keep the overall concentration even - don't forget bedtime. I don't know a good brand of chewables for kids, ask around; but again, don't obsess over the sugar, just try to keep it down. Another virtue to the vit. C is it's tendency to dissolve bladder stones; for this reason, you might want to avoid the ester or salt or otherwise 'improved' forms in favor of good old original L-Ascorbic Acid plus maybe a buffer - (and some, uh, sugar? Drat!!<g> I know it's serious, particularly if you are also fighting intermittent candida, as I have, but a little sugar and a Lot of water intake is better than no sugar and mediocre water intake IMNSHO, and I been there, and done that.)

About the Magic Fairy Dust; well, if you can get some from Tinker Bell, and sprinkle it in your food, and you're still a kid, then -- No, I have NOT lost my marbles!!