> Hi,
> Would like to ask a question of Mike D...

Greetings Mary Anna,

I'm copying my answer to you privately as well as to the silver list,
so you'll probably get it twice! I missed your message until just now.

> I have diabetes and also hyperlipidemia...My children have been
> wondering if I might have sleep apnea as well; I have some symptoms
> of it...

Somebody christened this Syndrome X!! Silly name, but you've got it
more than likely. It's another search term you can use in Google.

> Can a diabetic go on the carbyhydrate diet?..I have been researching
> this and found that some have an issue with diabetics going on the
> carbohydrate diet as it causes too much protein for the kidneys to
> handle...This isn't something that you can ask your doctor about as
> they only advocate the diabetic exchange diet..I have been checking
> this out because I feel that the carbohydrate diet is something that
> would help me...However, kinda makes me wonder if I should as I don't
> want to damage my kidneys further..It is a controversial issue it
> seems...Any and all help needed....TIA, Mary Anna

Anything that challenges conventional medicine's dogma is
"controversial," at least as far as most doctors are concerned.

In this case, I think the evidence is pretty good that a low
carbohydrate, higher fat, adequate protein diet is the healthiest
option for anybody, diabetics included.

If you restrict carbs enough to deplete your available glucose and
glycogen stores you'll begin metabolizing fat. It may take several days
to reach this transition, depending on your activity level. Once it
happens you'll discover that your body works just fine running on fat
metabolism.

One of the byproducts of burning fat is ketones, which show up in your
urine and breath.

Under certain circumstances ketosis is a *bad* thing for diabetics,
and is in fact the reason that they sell ketone test strips for
home-testing your urine. I don't have the details in my head right
now, but I beleive that a person who uses insulin can get into a mode
where they have depeleted glucose and glycogen and, in the absence of
adequate dietary fat and/or protein, start breaking down their own
muscle tissues for energy.

This effect is the major problem with ketosis and diabetics, and
indicates that the condition is out of control. Definitely a bad thing.

However, it's also the source of the usual knee jerk reaction to the
idea of a ketogenic diet (carb restricted). Just because it's bad for
an out-of-control insulin dependent diabetic, it is *not* a bad thing
in every instance.

Note the description of the diet: low carb, higher fat, adequate
protein. Add an abundance of vegetables and you've got a good plan.

The others have pointed you to a bunch of resources. There are also
books by a number of authors that you ought to invest in... The Protein
Power Life Plan by Michael and Mary Eades, Neanderthin by Ray Audette,
I suppose stuff by Atkins, and Natural Hormone Enhancement by Rob
Faigan are a few.

Investigate it for yourself. I can't prescribe anything for you, but I
can tell you that I'm better off, having lowered my triglycerieds over
600 points, my cholesterol by 100 points, and improving my HDL to LDL
ratio. I lost some weight, too.

Please look into it!

Be well,

Mike D.