  From: Ode Coyote
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 12:36 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>Mailbox reply

     Edge discharge is easy to see.  Just compare the mist as it comes off
  the electrode edge with that which comes off the rest of the electrode.
    Electroplaters attach bleed off wires to prevent burnt and grainy looking
  thick accumulations of plating on edges so they can still use enough
  current to reach inside the holes.  Most electroplating electrodes come as
  flat bars.  They erode into a V shape with rounded edges also becoming
  sorter and shorter till they have a big fat top and a pointy round
  bottom...points go faster than the edges.

    Plain wire with the end exposed will sharpen into a point but the wire
  gets pretty darned thin before the wire actually gets shorter.
    The looped wire with no ends in the water seem to go away pretty evenly
  retaining full length till they get too flimsy to handle.
    You would think that the current desity would go up as the wires get
  thinner, but they also get pitted and the pits increase surface area.
    I don't recall seeing a used up electroplate electrode bar with pits. [I
  was an electroplater long ago..copper, zinc and nickel..some gold.]

    Opposite sides of a flat bar are further apart than the sides facing. Ion
  discharge from opposite faces have to go around the bar on a longer path.
  Longer distance equals higher resistance...fewer ions. [also lower currrent
  density]
  ode [aka ken]