James:

The following sums up some ground covered quite some time ago (
cross-post ):

BYU wouldn't dare send us one of those "cease and desist" letters.  I would
eat them for lunch.

An organization that does what they did is frankly Anti-American.  I expect
such behavior from politicians, not Universities.

> [ name removed ]:
>
> That's pretty wild! I make one reference to BYU on our "New to
Silver" essay. I would not remove it if requested by BYU.
> In reality, they cannot legally prevent reference to the studies
done. If they are not claiming copyright infringement, they don't
have a "leg to stand on". I'd love to take a look at the article that
you put online, in its original form. If you're interested, I'd love
to publish it in full, and deal with BYU myself.

> If BYU has a problem, they should address it with their staff
members that interview with the press. Deseret news has published
many news articles on the subject.

> If they are claiming copyrights protection, they would first have to
acknowledge the fact that the studies were done, and that the rights
belong to them...

> I'd love to get clarification on the issue! Any chance I could see
a copy of the letter they sent as well?

> If there IS a copyright infringement going on, it needs to be dealt
with the American Silver LLC, who published the extensive letter from
BYU, and has it on their ( and their authorized distributors' )
website(s) without copyright declarations.

> All of this needs to be brought to the attention of BYU. If BYU is
adamant about being unkind about the whole situation, then the public
needs to be made aware of this. Normally universities understand that
situations like this can end up backfiring on them, causing a whole
world of hurt in public relations.

> I'd also like to know why they've chosen to act now, since the
information has been readily available since 1999. Timely enforcement
of copyright is required by copyright law, and a judge might simply
rule against BYU based on the fact that they waited almost four years
to enforce it. That study, by default, may be able to be placed in
public domain by default.

> A counter-lawsuit might be in order ( of course, based only on the
legal sparring in things like these, not a real interest in suing BYU
); it could be a prejudicial request, unless BYU is planning on
sending similiar letters to the ~140 others who have published direct
references. I doubt that they would ask Deseret news to remove their
news articles, in that the department of microbiology willingly
interviewed with them, and agents of the media aren't likely to
succumb to any pressure under those circumstances!