I've read that MSM has the active igredients of DMSO, but you get it without the garlic breath/smell - which I used to hate. And MSM does work for me the same as DMSO used to, so my guess is it is true. I buy MSM bulk, by 20+ pounds at a time, and its not horribly expensive that way - I get it over the net. Check around - a lot of misinformation on the net about MSM and purity, claiming certain kinds are "more" pure, especially if they will fully dissolve in water. Not true. Would be convenient, easier to take, but not more pure or effective. The kind I take does not fully dissolve in water, unless it is a very small amount - I take a tablespoon at a time in a quarter cup of water, and it only partially dissolves. You just swallow it anyway and chase it with more water. Joy