url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m61936.html
Re: CS>A Cheap, High-Compliance Constant Current Source
From: Dan Nave
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:53:29

  Hi Dan,

  > Mike,

  > Your constant current source looks very interesting.

  > A few  questions... What sort of voltage supply  did  you envision
  > that would  be giving 150 to 160 volts to use  with  this circuit?
  > Rectified and filtered AC line voltage (120V, nominal)  would work
  > out to approximately 170 VDC. Would this be suitable?

  Sure, but  be very careful connecting to the AC line. You can  use a
  polarized plug  with a wide blade, or a regular 3-wire  plug  with a
  ground. But watch out for reversed connections on the socket. I find
  them all the time.

  Your calculation is correct. It should give 170VAC, but there are so
  many tv's,  pc's and other devices on the line that tend  to flatten
  the peak.  If you look at it on a scope, you can definitely  see the
  peak has a ramp shape as the filter caps get charged. I also like to
  add a  10 ohm surge limiter in series with the  diode.  This reduces
  the voltage after the rectifier, so I only get about 164VDC.

  Another alternative  is to use two voltage doublers on a  24VAC bell
  transformer. This will give about 130VDC. Here's a schematic:

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/add.automation/misc/130vdc.htm

  If you want to use this, increase the caps to about 10uF per mA that
  you expect  to operate. This will give about 1.5V p-p ripple  with a
  half-wave rectifier  at 60Hz. I deliberately set the cap  values low
  in the schematic to minimize the short-circuit current in  the event
  of a fault.

  In any  case,  be very careful with voltages and  currents  that can
  kill. Never  trust  circuits  that run at  these  levels.  Make sure
  inquisitive kids  can't  get to it while you  are  out.  Arrange the
  power switch  so  it discharges the caps when power  is  turned off,
  like this:

    http://www.geocities.com/mrmonett/shingles/120vac.gif

  > Also, what did you mean by R5=2 X 47K ohms? Perhaps you stated the
  > wattage of the various resistors but I didn't see it. I suppose we
  > could calculate it...

  Yes, I forgot to describe that. The TL413 requires a minimum of 1 mA
  so I  set the current to 1.5mA. With 150V source,  this  takes 100k,
  and the power dissipation is 225mW.

  A common  1/4W  resistor  could be used, but  I  don't  like running
  components at their rating, so I used two 47k in series to get about
  100k.

  > What is your electrode size and spacing and how long does  it take
  > you to reach current limit in your setup?

  Each electrode  is 48 inches of 12 ga wound in a flat spiral  to fit
  horizontally inside a Pyrex 2 litre measuring cup. The top electrode
  is at  the 48oz mark, and the bottom electrode is at the  16oz mark.
  They are about 1.5 inches apart.

  The cover  is a plastic child's starter plate from  WallMart  with a
  slot cut in one edge for the handle. I used 6-32 screws to  keep the
  lid aligned and center the electrodes in the Pyrex.

  It's kind  of  springy.  When  I walk in the  room  and  sit  at the
  computer, I can see the 4th digit on the cell voltage  bounce around
  due to small waves disturbing the Nernst diffusion layer. It settles
  down after a while and the readings are stable to the 5th digit.

  I am  now running at 776 uA, which is about 67uA/sq.in.  The initial
  voltage across  the cell is only about 12V, so the  current limiting
  is instantaneous.  There's  enough  headroom to  stack  10  cells in
  series and still have plenty left over.

  > Wasn't there some caveat about making some silver compound  at the
  > water/air interface  when using these voltages? Did  you  paint or
  > coat the electrodes at the interface area?

  Nah. That's  Bob's crazy idea. I still have the  first  electrodes I
  used for  many years. The bottoms measure about 0.027  inch  and the
  tops measure 0.080 inch. There is no necking whatsoever at the water
  line as  he  claims.  If there  were,  everyones's  electrodes would
  quickly wear  and  they  would fall in  the  water.  That  has never
  happened:)

  I definitely  do  not  recommend   painting  the  electrodes  at the
  waterline. You have no idea what kind of chemical reactions might go
  on during electrolysis.

  But I do recommend painting the 6-32 screws that hold the electrodes
  to the  cover.  Even  with galvanizing, they tend  to  rust  after a
  while. Probably due to the high humidity and long brew times.

  > Thanks,

  > Dan

Best Regards,

Mike Monett