Hi Trem,

I spent a couple of months fiddling with underwater arc for colloidal
gold.

The first lesson that I learned was to keep the DW as cold as possible
so as to sustain the arc. I used a large pot to hold ice water to keep
the brew cell cold.

One other person set up a recirculating system with a 250 gallon child's
wading pool to cool the recirc. water.

I had best results when the arc was abut 1/2" below the water surface.
However that required that the gold electrodes were incased in pyres
glass so that only about 1/8" of gold was exposed.

I also found the by having the tip of an adjustable elctrode strike the
other (fixed) electrode on its side, I had better arc control and could
adjust the arc with power on. Be careful here on how you insulate the
moving electrode as 15 kv gives a nasty bit!

I just took a break to measure the CG that I have on the shelf.
1.84 ppm; Cf =37 uS/cm; Very light violet in color
3 ppm; Cf = 12 uS/cm; light violet in color
8-10 ppm (mesogold) Cf =31 uS/cm light redwine color.

The 1.84 and the 3 ppm were measured by Lynn Kimball.

I guess I need to set up and make some more.

I even made a thermoelectric cooler to try on this project.

"Ole Bob"