url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m62868.html
Re: CS> Anode weight
From: Robert Berger
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:02:43

  > Mike M.

  > To do this anode weight experiment is not as easy as putting it on
  > paper!!

  > I ran  2  gallons, Initial Ci = 7.1 uS/cm  using  the  large anode
  > which I weighed before run and did not touch the scale adjustment.

  > Brewed 3.5  hours without current limit; pH =6.98;  and  Ag+ =13.6
  > ppm, and  there was no change in the weight of the anode.  I guess
  > the initial  weight of 126.9 gm was too high to be able  to detect
  > the weight loss.

  [...]

  > I will  replace the large anode with an anode that is 1/2"  x 3.5"
  > wet and  look for weight change. If I can't detect it then  I will
  > have to go an Aero Space client of mine and use their lab balance.
  > (50 miles round trip)

  > I have setup a current limiter at 6.3 mA and will run much longer.

  [...]

  > "Ole Bob"

  I knew  you would run into problems. You are right at  the  limit of
  resolution of your triple beam balance.

  A smaller anode may not solve the problem. You are still looking for
  a small change in mass. Your scale doesn't have enough resolution.

  You might try running the brew longer, but eventually you will start
  producing oxide that will stick to the anode and change the weight.

  You probably  need a better scale. Perhaps there is a  university or
  pharmaceutical supply  company nearby that has a better  balance? It
  seems silly to have to drive 100 miles to weigh 100 milligrams:)

  Maybe some amateur scientist has found a simple way to measure small
  mass changes  in large objects. I'll try to find some time  to  do a
  search.

  If you do try a small anode, you might want to reduce the current to
  keep the  current density the same as the original. If  you  do, the
  current regulator  will  probably come out of  saturation  and start
  producing constant current right away.

  This makes it easier to do the calculations, since you don't have to
  mess with  integrating  in WPlot. If you want me  to  help  with the
  calculations, let me know. But it would be good if you  gave Mercury
  a try. This program is amazing, and a great time-saver when you have
  to deal with calculations involving unit conversions.

  Why did the ppm drop from the original 38 to 13.6?

Best Regards,

Mike Monett