url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m63355.html
From: Trem
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:27:45

  > Mike,

  > The meter  can  easily be calibrated if  you  use  the calibration
  > solution from Hanna. I got one box of 16 bottles of  solution that
  > was defective  and  Ken got one of the bottles.  It  was  the only
  > batch I have gotten that was defective in many years. I  think you
  > can generally  trust  the solution to do what it  was  intended to
  > do....allow calibration of the PWT.

  > It will  be  very difficult to use a standard  resistor  since the
  > sensing electrodes  are not easily accessible and the  meter would
  > have to  be disassembled to get at the electronics.  Not something
  > the average  person would want to do. And it's really  not  a good
  > idea when all one has to do is use the factory solution.

  > Trem

  Hi Trem,

  Thanks for  the update. A calibration solution may be  accurate, but
  there's no way to know that for sure. A mistake can occur during the
  dilution, it  can  be contaminated somehow, or perhaps  some  of the
  water may evaporate over time and change the reading.

  Steve Young  posted  a  table of  salt  concentrations  and resistor
  values some time ago. Ivan did also.

  The salt  dilutions  look  scary.   Any  mistake  would  destroy the
  accuracy. I'm not good enough to tackle that.

  The resistor  method  is probably the most  accurate,  but  it would
  require knowing  the cell calibration factor. I don't  have  a Hanna
  yet, but  I understand it uses a special multiple  probe arrangement
  (the details escape me at the moment.)

  I understand  the probes have a small area, so  the  actual resistor
  value would  be  larger  than the  standard  table  shows.  Also the
  calibration constant might be different for each probe due to slight
  mechanical tolerances.

  I found a manual for the hi98308 at

    https://www705.vwh1.net/hanna4/downloads/instr/hi98308.pdf

  It shows how to replace the electrode assembly, HI73308

  I don't  know  what is inside the electrode assembly,  but  from the
  pictures there  seems to be a temperature sensor  and  two terminals
  marked (1) in the diagram.

  These terminals  look  quite large and sturdy. I'd  have  to  get my
  Hanna to take a look, but there might be a simple way to gain access
  to them.

  If so, I can diddle with external resistors to find  the calibration
  constant for the unit for various readings. Once I know  the values,
  I can refer to them later if I think there might be a problem.

  Since little  old  ladies   are   allowed  to  change  the electrode
  assembly, I don't think I would have any problems taking it apart as
  instructed.

  The instructions  are given in the manual so people  can  change the
  electrode assembly when it becomes degraded.

  As a  matter of curiosity, how do you tell the difference  between a
  degraded cell and a bad calibration solution?

Best Regards,

Mike Monett