Ode,
I'm thinkng you may be correct.  But do I get a constant voltage, even
where initial conductivity is near zero?  Perhaps I could start with a
tiny amount of salt or soda, enough to get about 1.0uS.  But if I end up
with only about 100 ppm of silver, to be as economical as we would need
to be I should perhaps forget about the distilled water, perhaps going
for rain water -when- possible.

If I end up using tap water, ~150 ppm I'll get real mud.  But is there
likely to be anything in this that is a problem?  After all, it's piped
water that has had some treatment for physical chemical aspects.  Then
again, all the minerals in the water may prevent getting very far with
the reaction.  Perhaps I could then take the samples to a lab to check
for the presence of silver, but if I remember correctly in atomic
absorption the test is for the presence of ionic silver.

Or I could weigh the electrodes before and after, then assume all the
mud to be compunds of silver, but having had physical chemical tests,
this would be compounds that would be harmless within a filter.  I guess
this is a rhetorical question.  Do I make sense?  I'm sure the answers
are out there, just waiting to be grasped.
Reid

Ode Coyote said:
If you're not concerned with particle size at high concentrations, and
apparently you're not as you seem happy with a red result, going with
constant voltage along with the run away problem will definitely be a
lot
faster than using current controls.

 However, it's not a long shot to wind up with a brown muddy emulsified
mix
that turns black the next day when the current gets really high.  If
you're
just going to sinter all that into clay at high temperatures, black
might
not be a problem.

Ode