"Daddybob" posted a question on this earlier today, as well as
yesterday on the OT list. I answered on the OT list and will post this
to both places so future archive miners can see the results...

Daddybob writes:
> Thanks Mike-
> I haven't joined the OT list but I lurk there and
> found your reply.

Actually, if you're on the silver list you don't have to join (ie.
subscribe) to the OT list to post to it, as you discovered. You're a
"member" whether you want to be or not! <grin>

> She thinks it helped her. She's made about 8 cups since yesterday
> morning. She can't be terribly sure yet because she had a really awful
> stress situation to arise at work- she had to fire someone- and she had
> a very bad headache from all of it.

Don't know about its effects on headaches, but both daughter and wife
report relief from cramps and bloating.

Neither has needed more than a few cups per period, so she might cut
back to a few cups a day and see what effect it has on the duration and
volume of flow. Neither you nor I have any clue how much amaranth is
"too much," so play it by ear.

> She likes your idea of a tea ball and combining it with other tea.

Yes, it's much easier not having to strain out the seeds.

I was originally concerned the taste might be off-putting to my
daughter, not that it *has* much taste after all. That gave me the idea
of adding a regular tea bag and some honey to the brew cup.

I like your idea of eating it with butter and a dash of salt! <grin>

> It will take a few periods to be sure, but it's the first thing that
> she has EVER spoken positively about in this regard.

We both owe thanks to Brooks Bradley who first posted this information
to the silver-list. The use of amaranth for menstrual issues is in the
herbal apothecary, it turns out, but I'd never have known to try it if
somebody didn't point it out to us.

Amaranth is definitely on my top-10 list of alternative treatments!

> BTW-
> I found it first at:
> http://www.flax4u.com/
> I found it cheap at:
> http://www.barryfarm.com/Grains.htm

I get it from a small spice shop in the area. Comes in a little bag.
Looks just like couscous. <grin>

> Thanks a lot for sharing this. Please post this to wherever you wish so
> others may be helped.

> Daddybob

I'm glad you asked and grateful you've posted your preliminary results.
Let us know the long-term results, please.

Be well!

Mike D.