I'd say the blackbirds are about to leap out of the pie.  They've been
wiggling around in there for some time now, disguised as robins by various
chemical names and combinations.
 The Navy has been using glucosamine for ages and that's hitting the
spotlight pretty hard these days.

Look out Advil!

 Grass has many unseen roots...and ya gotta mow it all the time.
 Then there are turf farms who have figured out how to market something
everyone else has been trying to keep in check.
 I have some sort of grass here that I swear will grow right through a
cinder block and I didn't even plant it.  It came with the sun. Got light?
OK... GRASS!  With an attitude!

 I don't think the FDA ever tried to squelch CS.  They did and do attempt
to keep the labeling honest and wild sounding claims in chains.
 It's like a horse with blinders...Don't wander into my field of view or
you'll spook me.  But I am in a harness pulling a wagon after all.  I have
enough to do without chasing you down to pick a fight over the inevitable.

 The way the FDA is structured and funded places them in a very awkward
position where they must have eyes painted on their eyelids so they will
look like they're open when the boss is around.
 Plausable deniability is the game of the day.

..or the local moonshiner only gets busted when the BATF comes to town.
[and his cousin, the judge, slaps his hand after they leave for being so
obvious a target because he didn't move the still from the town square fast
enough]

 appearances and politics

Ode