From: daddybob [mailto:daddybob52...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 1:47 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Re: CS>Fire Ants

Nothing kills them for good that is legal that I know
of.

If you called the Ag. Ext. ofc. here about fire ants
they'd have a good laugh and wish you well.

Short of drastic poisons and awful things that you
shouldn't do to the environment (like pouring gasoline
on them), here are some suggestions.

First- you never get rid of them if they've moved in
to your area, you just chase them around. The goal is
to keep them at bay, that's the best you can do.

They hate coffee grounds, but if you have too many to
deal with, you can't drink that much coffee. The
grounds have to be wet; don't ask me why.

Many baits and poisons are available. What you don't
want to do willy-nilly is spread these things around
where birds and such get into them.

Acephate works best, but can be expensive- here's how
to use less and do less damage to the environment,
while chasing the Fireants around very effectively:
Put about 2-3 tablespoons in the bottom of a 5 gallon
bucket with a little water, and stir it together. Now
add water to near the top, then just a drop or two of dishwashing liquid as
an adjuvant.

Pour about a gallon or two per mound, all over the
mound. It will wash and uncover the top, and expose
the larva. Get the larva good and wet and all the
workers who are trying to move the larva. This way all
the workers will get some when they try to move the
colony.

Every day inspect your yard for new small colonies
that came from the damaged ones. If you do this you
will rid your yard for maybe a month at a stretch.

This really calls for vigilance in late summer/ early
fall.

It never ends.

Maybe someone here can modify this method with
something less poisonous and less expensive. I'm all
ears.

Daddybob