Garnett said:
> If this were true [re mineral depleated soil] there
should be more evidence in the general population of
deficiency syndromes. I would like to see data that
supports your statement.<

The following are quotes from U.S. Senate Report #264,
published in the Congressional Record in 1936:

"Laboratory tests prove that the fruits, the
vegetables, the grains, the eggs, and even the milk
and the meats of today are not what they were a few
generations ago (which doubtless explains why our
forefathers thrived on a selection of foods that would
starve us!)."

"It is bad news to learn from our leading authorities
that 99% of the American people are deficient in these
minerals, and that a marked deficiency in any one of
the more important minerals actually results in
disease. Any upset of the balance, any considerable
lack of one or another element, however microscopic
the body requirement may be, and we sicken, suffer,
shorten our lives."

"We know that vitamins are complex chemical substances
which are indispensable to nutrition, and that each of
them is of importance for normal function of some
special structure in the body. Disorder and disease
result from any vitamin deficiency. It is not commonly
realized, however, that vitamins control the body's
appropriation of minerals, and in the absence of
mineral's they have no function to perform. Lacking
vitamins, the system can make some use of minerals,
but lacking minerals, vitamins are useless."

>..there should be more evidence in the general
population of deficiency syndromes.<

I consider 50%+ of the population getting heart
disease and 50% of the population getting cancer
evidence enough. Plus the sharply increasing incidence
of diabetes, arthritis, etc., convinces me.