On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 20:46, Nenah Sylver wrote:
> [...]

I reread this section and he does in fact state that his electrolytes
were never checked "to check for a potassium deficiency". This to me
means they were indeed checked and he perceived that the doctors were
not looking to see if the potassium levels were low. This is too absurd
to entertain as it is one of the MOST basic parameters in a blood panel
besides the cell counts, it is a known indicator of poor cardiac
function and any doctor, even the worst is going to look at the easy
indicators. And asking the author would not reveal the intentions of his
physicians. That is something only the physician would know.

> > 2) He claims that sodium is a poison and that potassium is more
> > important. He states that "unlike toxic sodium, potassium is essential
> > to our health"
> >
> > It is the balance of minerals that is important, not one single mineral.
> > Sodium is required by the body and is as important as any of the
> > electrolytes, to maintain the potential across cell membranes, due to
> > the relative concentrations of all of the electrolytes. Without sodium
> > we would also die.
>
> I agree that we need sodium. However, one thing that's very interesting is
> that
> the body conserves sodium while excreting potassium. When I was doing research
> for my book on sauna therapy, all the sources I consulted said that after a
> short while of excreting both sodium and potassium (as well as other
> minerals),
> the body then LEARNS to hold on to the sodium but cannot help eliminating
> potassium. Knowing this, I read the article with great interest. I don't think
> it's such a big deal if we don't supplement the diet with sodium.

Most of us get adequate Sodium in our diets. The author was calling
sodium toxic and this simply is not true by the currently accepted
definition of toxicity. He is using inflammatory language and rear to
prersuade readers of his articles. A red flag which indicates to me that
he must rely on fear not truth to reach his end.

> > Sodium does NOT cause high blood pressure. Restricting excessive sodium
> > consumption in a hypertensive patient will help lower high blood
> > pressure. But to turn the converse into sodium is toxic or causes high
> > blood pressure is a grave error in logic.
>
> I also think we need to describe WHAT FORM that sodium takes -- which I did
> catch on reading the article but didn't think to mention while posting it.
> Pure
> sodium chloride without being balanced by other trace minerals is a whole
> different kettle of (salty) fish than "whole food" salt.

So is potassium taken without regard to the total balance of minerals in
the body and diet. Mineral balance is difficult to measure with
accuracy. We can read blood levels but this tells us little about the
depoted minerals in organs and other tissues like bones. These tissue
stores of minerals are fluid, that is they equilibrate with blood,
easily accessed by the body when the BALANCE is kept. For instance
without the trace mineral Silicon Calcium and Magnesium utilization and
absoprtion for that matter will not be adequate. You hear very little
about Si because it is difficult to measure at the low levels it occurs
and there is little money for basic research since Reagan cut funding
while in office.

Best to take minerals in a balanced formula or in your food if you can
obtain high quality naturally or organically grown food. One very simple
solution is to grow herbs on your patio in containers and feed them
seaweed and natural fertilizers high in minerals. Use them with every
meal. If you are not vegetarian make rich soup stocks with bones, a bit
of vinegar over egg shels will draw out the minerals. There are many
ways to supplement minerals in a balanced natural matrix.

> > 3) Potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous are macro
> > minerals.
> >
> > This author refers to some of these as trace minerals.
>
> I didn't catch this either.
>
> > 4)"...'research" proved longa go that simple deficiency can not cause
> > life threatening conditions."
> >
> > This too is absurd, it is well known in the medical community that
> > potassium deficiency can kill you, indeed that any electrolyte
> > deficiency if severe enough will kill you. It was widely spoken of in
> > response to the number of people using "liquid" protien diets in the
> > 70's, some of whom died with big follow ups in the media.
>
> Yet the thrust of his article seems to be that simple deficiencies are
> life-threatening. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and regard
> this
> simply as sloppy writing and editing. Maybe I'm being naive.

Mineral deficiencies can be life threatening, I don't know what you mean
by "simple deficiency" as that is not a quantitative term. Too much
potassium is a diuretic so taking a lot more than you need will also be
unhealthy. He does not mention the diurectic effect at all! Dehydration
is one of the most common states found upon autopsy. See, that scared
you didn't it? I think his writing is irrepsonsible, not just sloppy.

> > 5) By the seventies, all meaningful references to serious mineral
> > deficiencies had been removed from the curriculum.
> >
> > Again not true. I attended classes in medical physiology with medical
> > students as a graduate student in pharmacology in 1979 - 1981. The
> > nutrition part of this course most certainly did deal with mineral
> > requirements and deficiencies.
>
> Remember too that this guy is living in Australia. He doesn't specify WHICH
> curriculum had eliminated these studies.

Again an example of his sloppy irresponsible style of writing and
persuation. He states that across the board medical schools were not
teaching that supplements might be necessary. Indeed they were, even the
pharmaceutical companies were passing out free nutrition manuals when I
was in grad school -- they also make money on supplying mineral
supplements to hospitals and doctors.

> > We were not taught all a person needed was "a diet rich in fruit and
> > vegetables". In fact this top ten medical school brought in Dr Linus
> > Pauling to lecture on Vit C. As well as one of the biochemists telling
> > us personally what he took each day in the way of supplements and why.
>
> You were taught well. LOTS of doctors and health care practitioners I know are
> taught that a diet rich in fruits and veggies is adequate. In fact, this is
> the
> official line nowadays of many US government departments.

Only to avoid the controversy and possible malpractice lawsuits. Doctors
are not nutritional counselors. I have had MDs send me to nutritional
counselors who did know more and I was well served by the interaction of
the two. I live in a small rural town so it is not something you just
find in larger cities. Depends on who you consult. Best to check out any
pracitioner before handing over your health or your money.

> > The author is also, after scaring his readers which he so neatly accuses
> > modern doctors of doing, soliciting donations!!!
> >
> > Follow the money . . . .
>
> Yet the author is still making his article freely available to people without
> their having to pay for it. And he isn't leaving his readers hanging: he's
> suggesting a concrete, easy remedy to what he posits as the problem.

Ever hear of a "loss leader"? It is a well known and common practice in
marketing. His solution can cause many problems and I would certainly
never take that amount of elemental potassium without carefully
monitoring my blood levels.

> I am willing to overlook the flaws in the article, because it underscores so
> well the importance of potassium. For me, it was a good wakeup call.

Raising awareness is a good thing, IF you present the whole story and
tell it well. He has not done this.

> Thanks for your critique.

Your welcome.

Garnet