Thanks, Mike.  That sounds like a plausible explanation.

JBB

On Monday, Mar 22, 2004, at 17:42 Asia/Tokyo, M. G. Devour wrote:

To me it is interesting that we can not say, in this case,  that "the
big pharmaceuticals"  were the sole agents for stopping approval of
DMSO for most approved medical uses.    IAW, the whole mess is a lot
more complicated than some might suggest.

As I recall from Dr. Jacob's book, or another I read, the cause of the
FDA's action was that DMSO was starting to get too popular. People were
starting to use it in large numbers outside of clinical control and the
FDA, which had just received new powers to regulate things decided to
flex its muscles. It was a political action motivated by power and
control issues at FDA rather than pharmaceutical company greed.

I believe the FDA director at the time was personally involved and made
stopping DMSO one of his pet projects. It was a grudge issue for him.

That's what I remember from my reading a couple of years ago, anyway.

Be well,

Mike D.

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>