From: DMSO Nature's Miracle by Walker

5 mg/kg for 90 days caused refractive index changes but not lens
opacity, the animals became slightly nearsighted at a dose 50-100 times
that the usual human therapeutic dose. The problem diminished as the
dose was reduced. The tests on primates showed none of these effects and
seems limited to rabbits, dogs and pigs at high doses.  DMSO Nature's
Miracle by Walker pp79

"No changes in refraction or translucense of the lens or any other
abnormalities were noted in any animal [primates] before, druing or 18
weeks after any drug administration." Dr JC de la Torre, Department of
Neurosurgery (r-35), Univeristy of Miami School of Medicine, PI Box
076960 Miami, FA 33101. Reprint available. Journal of Toxicology and
Environmental Health Vol 7, March 1981

It seems that in extremely high doses for prolonger periods dogs, pigs
and rabbits may show some changes. But these dosages are not therapeutic
and no such effects were seen in primates or humans. Even the changes in
rabbits, known to be very sensitive and therefore the model for such
experiments, were only found at very high doses for many months.

Garnet