Thanks to all who have replied.
I do get a clear CS with a good Tyndall effect, so I am confident that I am
producing good CS.
I do add a squirt of CS from my old batch to get things going, and it works
well.

A word of warning - I found some "purified water" in a pharmacy here that
says it has resistivity of "less than 30 uS" which is *not* good enough for
making CS. The "purified water BP" that I use seems at least as pure as
deionized, so if you are in the UK make sure you use either "deionised" or
"purified water BP". The BP stands for British Pharmacopia and means it is
very pure, pure enough to be used for making up IV medicines.

Paul H