> Re: CS>Baking soda
> From: Ode Coyote
> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:24:07

  > I did  a  little  experiment to see if using  baking  soda  did or
  > didn't react with silver ions.

  > 16 oz batch run at 1 millimap on 12" exposed 12  guage electrodes,
  > input at 12 volts [because I was playing with 12 volts that day]

  > Water at  was .5 uS adjusted to 12.4 uS using the  smallest amount
  > of baking  soda  I  could get onto the tip  of  a  damp toothpick.
  > [WOW!]

  > I ran  the  batch for a total of 2hrs and 41  minutes  to  35.2 uS
  > Subtracting to get the difference = 22.8 uS

  Hi Ken,

  Very Interesting!  The Faraday calculations predict  an  increase of
  22.826 ppm, almost identical to your uS value.

  This seems  to validate the conversion factor of 1  microsiemen  = 1
  ppm, and extends the range to 35 ppm. So we now have data from 3 ppm
  to 35  ppm that shows the same conversion factor. See  the following
  for reference:

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m63151.html

  > Electrodes ran cleaner than usual

  > CS was crystal clear.

  > Had a strong flavor.

  > PH at 9.7 [I have no idea if my little PH meter is accurate]

  Probably not  - distilled water is difficult to measure and  needs a
  different kind of probe.

  > Initial conclusion...Hummm, not bad at all!

  > BUT

  > About an hour later the batch had turned very milky looking  and the
  > conductivity went up to 48 uS.

  Hmm - I wonder if this affected the uS readings during the brew?

  > Ordinarily I'd  have  been  pleased with a  large  number  of pure
  > silver particles  suspended  in   there,   but  I  was suspicious.
  > Something wasn't quite right.

  > I started  searching   out   the   properties  of  silver carbonate.
  > Apparently it's  used in ceramics glazing and is a grey  powder that
  > darkens with light exposure.

  > It is not soluable in water.

  > Then I  discovered  that adding vineger  would  make  silver acetate
  > which IS soluable in water.

  I wish we could get the chemical equations to show these reactions!

  > I poured  out  two  equal amounts of the batch  into  2  clean glass
  > jiggers, diluted  one with distilled water and the  other  with pure
  > white vinegar.  I sat all three containers on a  windowsill...not in
  > direct sunlight.

  > Original container  developed  a gray deposit on the  bottom  as the
  > milkyness gradually  reduced  to almost clear.  The  very  strong TE
  > dimimished considerably.

  > Jiggerful diluted with water did the same.

  > Jigger diluted with vinegar went crystal clear with almost no TE and
  > no deposits.

  > Conclusion: I had made silver carbonate.

  Again, it would be nice to have balanced eqations to work with.

  > Looking further,  I found that [insoluable/ light  sensitive] silver
  > carbonate makes silver ions upon exposure to hydrochloric acid. Back
  > to square one if you drink it down.

  > The silver  in  [soluable/   light  insensitive]  silver  acetate is
  > released as  pure metallic particles when in the  presence  of iron.
  > Hummm  [silver   plated   red   blood   corpuscles?   Use   an  iron
  > electrode?..might get a very shiny nail.]

  > I ran  another batch using one drop of vinegar.  Looked  pretty good
  > but I  got busy on something else and lost it  somewhere  and didn't
  > take notes.

  > The baking soda batch samples still look the same on the window sill
  > after a week or 2.

  > Ode

  Very nice, Ken. Here's the Faraday calcs:

  Cou  = I * sec         ; total number of Coulombs
  gm   = k * I * sec     ; Faraday's equation
  k    = 107.868 / 96485 ; Coulombs required per gram of silver
  lt   = 3.785 * gal     ; convert gallons to litres
  lt   = ml / 1000       ; convert millilitres to litres
  mg   = gm * 1000       ; convert grams to milligrams
  ml   = 29.57 * oz      ; convert ounce to milliliters
  phr  = ppm / hrs       ; ppm per hour
  ppm  = mg / lt         ; 1 ppm is 1 milligram per litre
  sec  = hrs * 3600 + mnt * 60      ; convert hours to seconds

  hrs  = 2
  I    = 1e-3           ; current
  mnt  = 41             ; minutes
  oz   = 16             ; volume of dw