Re: CS>virus reaction
From: David Bearrow
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:17:50

  > I don't think it is a diabolical person who is on the list that is
  > attacking the  list maliciously. Most of the bad emails  have been
  > infected with various worms. These worms were cleverly  written to
  > not only  harvest  email  addresses from its  victim  but  it also
  > harvests the emails themselves and creates emails based on content
  > it finds  in  the email it harvests. Occams  razor  tells  me that
  > likely one or more people on our list have been infected  with one
  > of the new cleverly written worms.

  > Dave

  Good point, Dave. It could be a worm. You'd think if it was  a worm,
  more people  on the list would get these emails. But they  only seem
  to affect one or two people at a time.

  I tried  to send several emails to the sender's  address.  They were
  all different, and they all bounced. It is true a worm could fake an
  address, but in order to create the most havoc, they generally leave
  the address  valid so people would blame an innocent person.  On the
  other hand,  a  malicious sender would  definitely  fake  his return
  address to avoid detection.

  And how would a worm know that Jonathan was interested in Flax Oil?

  The last  time this phrase occurs in the subject line  is Jonathan's
  post titled "CS>EPA/DHA (Fish Oil, Flax Oil)" on 8 Oct 2001:

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m40762.html

  A worm  would not search the list archives and locate a  phrase that
  would be  of  interest  to Jonathan.  Also,  he  received  his virus
  recently. So it's hard to tell for sure, but I tend to  lean towards
  an individual as the source of these messages.

  But, as in everything associated with the internet,  always practice
  save hex:)

  Turn off  javascript,  and disable html. All of these  help  a virus
  writer gain access to your computer. Although there are many methods
  available that don't need any user action to load a virus.

  The safest  is  to follow the recommendations  of  many  groups, and
  don't use  Microsoft products on the internet. They  will  never fix
  all the holes in their products.

  Use Firefox  instead of MS Explorer, and any of  the  numerous email
  clients instead of Outlook.

  And be  very  careful  of attachments. Perhaps  someone  knows  of a
  scanner that can check email attachments for executables  and delete
  them.

  But I don't have to worry - they won't even run on my system:)

Best Wishes,

Mike Monett