Bet you're running anti virus software now, huh?

If not, or need a GOOD FREE one that auto magically updates, I Use
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
The free edition is at http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

In addition, a firewall will keep hackers away.
Zone Alarm is one of the best. A free version is at

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=2home_freedownloads

A text-based newsreader is a lot safer than a web browser.
HTML is for the clueless...
I use Agent, it's the best.
A free version (Freeagent)is available at
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/support.php

That's pretty much all you need besides common sense.
Remember, safe hex!!!
                                                        Chuck
BTW, your messed up drive couldn't be reformatted?
That's the usual fix.

Two  cannibals are eating a clown.
  One says to the other: "Does this   taste  funny to you?"