At 09:08 AM 8/12/04, you wrote:
How does adware get on your computer? I have Norton installed, and it has never poped up saying that it found a virus or worm trying to get on my system. I have a spam blocker on my server which gets rid of a lot of them, and use Netscape for my mail, and never open any attachments. I use Netscape as my browser, and any time I do have to use IE, I do not have Vbasic installed on my system.

I also have Zone alarm on my system. Am I missing something?

Adware gets installed by you when you download and install any of the hundred of thousands of free programs out there such as Bonzai buddy, waterfall screensavers, Kazaa, Webshots, etc. They bundle adware in with those programs and install them in the background without your knowledge. You give them permission when you accept the licence agreement. Nobody ever reads the licence agreement. They just hit the accept button and install. These programs run quietly in the background and many don't even show up in the task list when you hit cntrl-alt-del! When you uninstall the program that put the adware in, it leaves the adware running and does not remove it. If you read the Kazaa licence you would find that you actually give them permission to install whatever software they please on your computer by remote control! Weather bug is another one with a similar licence to Kazaa.

Some websites push active-x controls onto your internet explorer browser. They then install what is known as a BHO, a browser helper object. This is a program that loads and runs whenever you run internet explorer. There is no easy way to see these BHO's without using a program like Spybot or Hijackthis. These BHO's are the source of many peoples popup problems. They belong to the class of malware called browser hijackers. They can reset your home page and force you into certain search engines, send you popups based on your browsing habits, track your internet usage, and even collect your passwords!

My advice is to not install any of the free programs. There are some free programs that don't install adware but they are in the minority. Better to google a program before installing it to see if there are any known adware associated with it. ALWAYS install Microsoft critical updates as soon as they are available. And run Spybot and Adaware regularly.

David Bearrow
www.addaphonejack.com