I admit that I do not understand the properties of positrons, though of course I understand they are not x-rays. As to whether or not they have detrimental health effects, I am not sure. The article I read cited in particular x-rays and CAT scans; Japan has ordered an astounding number of CAT machines from the USA, and may have the most machines of any country per capita.

On Saturday, Aug 28, 2004, at 00:02 Asia/Tokyo, Ronald Wilson wrote:

Pet is not electromagnetic x rays

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan B. Britten" <jbrit...@cc.nakamura-u.ac.jp>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: CS>X-Ray

In Japan,  health researchers recently announced that at least three
percent of all cancers are directly due to excessive use of x-rays and
other invasive electromagnetic diagnostic tests such as CAT and PET
scans.   Yes,  that is three out 100 patients with cancer got that way
from their own doctors.

The only good thing you can say is that at least the facts finally came
out.

I was not surprised by the report.   I was once quite  ill with
mycoplasmic pneumonia in this country, and the various doctors gave me at least a dozen x-rays -- in the first case, identical x-rays taken by
two different facilities within 24 hours --  before I was well enough
to get away from them.     I was too ill to protest for a while there.

Every year teachers are supposed to take an x-ray as a condition of
employment.  Every year I do not,  and if pushed to the wall will do
battle.   I can not be sure about the utility of mammograms,  but I
believe that non-invasive methods, such as Omura's BDORT,  are likely
to be proven superior in the long run.

JBB