----- Original Message -----
From: "John Rigby" <jrig...@fablor.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 7:27 PM
Subject: CS>just us chickens...

> Speaking of chickens an' things:
>
> I have a philosophical problem though - while I won't kill and eat any sort
> of animal, I recently learned that REAL chickens in the wild might only lay
> 10 eggs per year ......  I do steal the eggs though and eat them.
> Under non-forced conditions, I wonder how many eggs a "real" chicken would
lay?

I don't know about chickens in the "wild," but living in the country I do know
something about chickens in general:

1) In chickens bred and sold to be egg layers, the natural instinct to lay on
the eggs to hatch them has been curtailed through selective breeding.This makes
it easier to collect their eggs.

2) An egg-laying chicken gets tired much sooner than a non-egg laying chicken
(surprise!), and has about one half the lifespan (assuming she is allowed to
live to a ripe old age and is not butchered first).

3) Chickens that are allowed to run around and peck naturally eat insects and
other animal protein.

4) The eggs of free-range chickens that eat insects etc. are delectable. The
yolks are bright golden orange, and sit very high and large on the whites.

5) Eggs that come directly from a chicken are rather dirty. Commercial eggs are
washed before being put into cartons, but the washing removes the protective
layer of whatever-it-is that's on the eggs (besides the shit, dirt and straw),
and afterward the eggs are never as good. If you buy eggs from a chicken farmer,
get them unwashed.

6) Chickens that are talked to, respected, and sent good vibes give you the best
eggs (no surprise there). I know this because a friend of mine regards her
chickens as her personal pets and these are the best country, unwashed egss I've
ever had.

End of chicken lecture.

Nenah