Sounds like your generator went into runaway mode right from the start.
Water being too conductive to start with sucks the amperage up real fast at a constant voltage and gets faster and faster, faster and faster.
You can compensate with a milliammeter and variable resistor [potentiometer] in series with an electrode or make a constant current circuit.
There are constant current diodes available now-a-days for around $5

ode