There is no reason to give them your SS number. It is a security risk
and these days you should be very careful who you give it to. Also do
not ever repeat it out loud, you do not know who is listening.

If they need a number of the same number of digits have them use your
phone number with area code.

Just tell them that according to security experts the use of SS numbers
is incurs the risk of identity theft and the Office Of Homeland Security
has issued warnings about giving out private info that could lead to ID
theft.

Also be aware that people standing in line behind you when you are
making credit card purchases are taking photos of peoples cards and then
using their numbers. This has already happened at outdoor gas pumps and
stores.

Best to cover your card and only swipe it yourself through a machine. Or
pay in cash.

Garnet