Interesting. I wish I could figure out what is in the water here. One pass of my distiller yields water about .7 uS. Two passes about .4uS. I think they are adding more or differenct chemicals to the water because a single distillation used to yield about .2 uS if I used filtered cold tap water. Now for some reason that comes out the same as hot unfiltered tap water. If I take the .4uS water and distill it yet again, it still comes out .4 uS. I can only conclude there is something in the water here that does NOT distill out. Either that or my distiller doesn't work as well now as it did originally. Even so, my home double distilled water yields consistently clear CS that stays clear in storage. No commercial DW I can get here will produce clear CS as most of it is way over .7 uS, in fact most of it is way over 1.0 uS. I have pretty much given up trying to track down exactly what the water/air contaminants here are and just deal with it. But I do think I'll go for a Kenmore next time. I'd ideally like to have a large capacity constant fill distiller, but have no room nor plumbing access for one.
sol

George wrote:

I've had a $90 Sears Kenmore distiller since '95 or so and am still using it. I replaced the 'start' button 2 years ago and have had no other problems. Water quality is typically 2 uS for one pass and by running through the distiller a second time has measured as low as .5 uS (measured with Hanna PWT). The only downside is the batch size is 'only' 3.5 quarts.

George